Antigo Daily Journal
space
space Front Page Calendar & Events Classifieds News Obituaries Opinion/Letters Sports

Breaking News

Sts. James, Stanislaus mark anniversary Sunday
space
Sts. James and Stanislaus Catholic Parish, deeply rooted in the original Polish heritage of eastern Langlade County, are celebrating a centuryâ€and more†of love, faith and community.

Mass will be celebrated Sunday at 8:30 a.m. at St. James in White Lake and 10 a.m. at St. Stanislaus in Langlade. Celebrant will be Rev. Zach Weber.

A luncheon, open house and fellowship will follow at the White Lake Community Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The menu will include ham, meatballs, sausage and sauerkraut rolls and beverages along with a variety of potluck side dishes and a celebration cake.  

There will also be a memory table with photos and stories. All past and present parishioners, friends and community members are invited.

While much of the joint congregation's activities have shifted to St. James in White Lake, the older of the churches is actually St. Stanislaus in Langlade. It dates to 1888, when a Polish settlement was formed in Langlade.

In those days residents had to travel to St. John Catholic Church in Antigo for church or to get babies baptized and relied on visiting priests to come out on rare occasions for Mass. On May 7, 1901 13 families gathered in a home to organize a parish and by May 7, 1907 they had built a church and the Parish of St. Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr, was officially organized and services were held.

By 1946, the parish grew from 13 families to 35 families and a building fund was started for a new church. It was dedicated on May 16, 1950.

Through the years St. Stanislaus has served many families and vacationers as the mission parish to St. James Church in White Lake. During the late 60s and 70s there was standing room only for the Masses due to the weekend visitors to our area.

St. James, located in the village of White Lake, dates to 1918, when there were enough Catholics for a church in the village and plans were made to build a church. Until it was built, parishioners worshiped in private homes with services led by priests visiting from Antigo or Crandon

In 1920 Father John Landowski arrived and the construction project began. The first Mass was held on the Feast Day of St. James, July 25, 1920. The church has been updated several times over the years, but the original structure has remained in place.

On July 1, 1992 the two parishes merged into one Catholic community to pool resources. Services are now held year-round at St. James and on a seasonal basis at St. Stanislaus.

Over the years, St James and St Stanislaus have had about 37 priest, three deacons and several interim administrators. On Sept. 1 the parish will welcome Rev. Edmundo Siguenza.
space

CENTENNIALâ€From the top down are exterior and interior views of St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Langlade and the exterior and interior of St. James Catholic Church in White Lake.

Sts. James, Stanislaus mark anniversary Sunday
space
Sts. James and Stanislaus Catholic Parish, deeply rooted in the original Polish heritage of eastern Langlade County, are celebrating a centuryâ€and more†of love, faith and community.

Mass will be celebrated Sunday at 8:30 a.m. at St. James in White Lake and 10 a.m. at St. Stanislaus in Langlade. Celebrant will be Rev. Zach Weber.

A luncheon, open house and fellowship will follow at the White Lake Community Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The menu will include ham, meatballs, sausage and sauerkraut rolls and beverages along with a variety of potluck side dishes and a celebration cake.  

There will also be a memory table with photos and stories. All past and present parishioners, friends and community members are invited.

While much of the joint congregation's activities have shifted to St. James in White Lake, the older of the churches is actually St. Stanislaus in Langlade. It dates to 1888, when a Polish settlement was formed in Langlade.

In those days residents had to travel to St. John Catholic Church in Antigo for church or to get babies baptized and relied on visiting priests to come out on rare occasions for Mass. On May 7, 1901 13 families gathered in a home to organize a parish and by May 7, 1907 they had built a church and the Parish of St. Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr, was officially organized and services were held.

By 1946, the parish grew from 13 families to 35 families and a building fund was started for a new church. It was dedicated on May 16, 1950.

Through the years St. Stanislaus has served many families and vacationers as the mission parish to St. James Church in White Lake. During the late 60s and 70s there was standing room only for the Masses due to the weekend visitors to our area.

St. James, located in the village of White Lake, dates to 1918, when there were enough Catholics for a church in the village and plans were made to build a church. Until it was built, parishioners worshiped in private homes with services led by priests visiting from Antigo or Crandon

In 1920 Father John Landowski arrived and the construction project began. The first Mass was held on the Feast Day of St. James, July 25, 1920. The church has been updated several times over the years, but the original structure has remained in place.

On July 1, 1992 the two parishes merged into one Catholic community to pool resources. Services are now held year-round at St. James and on a seasonal basis at St. Stanislaus.

Over the years, St James and St Stanislaus have had about 37 priest, three deacons and several interim administrators. On Sept. 1 the parish will welcome Rev. Edmundo Siguenza.
space

CENTENNIALâ€From the top down are exterior and interior views of St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Langlade and the exterior and interior of St. James Catholic Church in White Lake.
2018
Wisconsin Public Notice Search
Wisconsin Public Notice Search

space
ANTIGO DAILY
JOURNAL
612 Superior Street
Antigo, WI 54409
Phone: 715-623-4191
Fax: 715-623-4193
Mail to: Fred Berner
MapOnUs Location: (local)

WEEKLY
JOURNAL
EXPRESS
612 Superior Street,
Antigo, WI 54409
Phone: 715-623-4191
Fax: 715-623-4193
Mail to: Fred Berner
MapOnUs Location: (local)

*Member WNA & NNA

space
Quick
News Search

Enter Key Word
space
space

Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.
© 2000-2018
space