Lady Robins cage Jaguars at Pulaski in grueling day of tennis|
Sophomore Allison Kondzela survived with wins in all three of her matches Friday as the Antigo High School girls tennis team challenged Pulaski, Ashwaubenon and Bay Port in a grueling day of competition.
Although dropping its first match to the host Raiders on a close 4-3 margin, the Lady Robins trounced Ashwaubenon 6-1 before falling to the Pirates 5-2.
Kondzela was a perfect 3-0 on the day at No. 3 singles. Emily Wald, at the No. 4 spot, won two of her matches as did the No. 3 doubles pairing of Tara Grall and Nikole Houdek.
Pulaski proved to be a difficult host to beat with speed and strength showcased from the first serve.
Antigo had trouble with the top of its lineup with No. 1 and 2 singles players Maddie Matuszewski and Ashley Brown as well as doubles partners Alexa Samolinski and Sami Smits and Abi Warren and Mandy Petts all falling in their respective rounds.
Unfortunately, they could not figure out a way to slow down their opponents,” Coach Aimee Hein said, “but the bottom of our lineup really stepped up, keeping the 4-3 loss to Pulaski close.”
Houdek and Grall lost the first set but powered through the second set and superset tie breaker to come away with a win at No. 3 doubles. Likewise, Kondzela, at No. 3, and Wald, at No. 4, didn't let losing the first set get them down as the pair surfaced with wins.
“Both girls fought hard for every point, making their eventual victories that much sweeter,” Hein said.
The girls then traveled to Ashwaubenon, the bus ride being their only chance to rest from Pulaski's three hour match. High on adrenaline, the hot and humid conditions failed to prevent an Antigo win.
Brown and Kondzela cruised through their matches while Wald was forced to battle again for every point with a similar outcome as earlier.
“Our doubles swept Ashwaubenon, out-hitting and out-strategizing their oppononents, staying focused to the very end,” Hein said.
After six hours of tennis, the girls headed to Bay Port, the final destination and opponent.
As the matches began, it was difficult to predict what the outcome would be, as the teams seemed to be quite evenly matched. The heat and exhaustion won in doubles as all three of Antigo’s pairings lost their outings.
On the other end, Brown dominated her set in singles, kicking her play up a notch and claiming victory without having to go into a superset tiebreaker.
The remaining matches were nailbiters. At No. 1 singles, senior Maddie Matuszewski played her best match of the day, falling into a groove and seemingly making a comeback before Bay Port's Maceyla Johnson edged by with a close victory.
Kondzela also started slow, but after a comeback to win the first set, she walked away with the win.
Overall results are as provided below.
Antigo will travel to Medford for a triangular meet with Phillips this afternoon.
Antigo Girls Tennis
at Pulaski Invitational
Aug. 22, 2014
Pulaski 4, Antigo 3
1. Maddie Matuszewski (A) lost to Molly Plummer (P), 1-6, 0-6.
2. Ashley Brown (A) lost to Gabrielle Lohrenz (P), 0-6, 1-6.
3. Allison Kondzela (A) def. Jackie Challoner (P), 1-6, 6-4, (10-5).
4. Emily Wald (A) def. Alexis Payette (P), 6-7, 6-4, (10-8).
1. Alexa Samolinski & Sami Smits (A) lost to Nicole Monette & Katie Challoner (P), 1-6, 3-6.
2. Abi Warren & Mandy Petts (A) lost to Rachel Koch & Erika Drake (P), 0-6, 2-6.
3. Tara Grall & Nikole Houdek (A) def. Emily Evenson & Megan Bierman (P), 3-6, 6-3,
Antigo 6, Ashwaubenon 1
1. Matuszewski (A) lost to Meghan Tilot (Ash), 2-6, 3-6.
2. Brown (A) def. Afrin Azad (Ash) 6-0, 6-1.
3. Kondzela (A) def. Peyton Wright (Ash), 6-0, 6-0.
4. Wald (A) def. Jayme Kiser (Ash), 7-6, 6-2.
1. Samolinski & Smits (A) def. Zoe Zeitler & Celeste Degeneffe (Ash), 6-4, 6-4.
2. Warren & Petts (A) def. Rebecca Messer & Abby Hoffman (Ash), 6-2, 6-3.
3. Grall & Houdek (A) def. Megan Belongia & Alibree Helsted (Ash), 6-3, 6-3.
Bay Port 5, Antigo 2
1. Matuszewski (A) lost to Maceyla Johnson (B), 3-6, 4-6.
2. Brown (A) def. Rachel Koch (B), 6-2, 6-4.
3. Kondzela (A) def. Brooke Forseth (B), 7-5, 6-0.
4. Wald (A) lost to Taylor Lauscher (B) 2-6, 1-6.
1. Samolinski & Smits (A) lost to Ellie Knutson & Callie Wiesman (B), 2-6, 0-6.
2. Warren & Petts (A) lost to Courtney Scheppenherst & Hannah Gustafson (B), 6-3, 4-6, (5-10).
3. Grall & Houdek (A) lost to Julia & Noeldner & Gretchen Trast (B), 0-6, 0-6
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.