Schwarz-Bartletti duo lead Antigo in Wausau Invite|
The Antigo boys’ tennis team competed in the Wausau Invitational this weekend, but didn't fare exceptionally well.
Playing four different teams, the Robins came out on the short end of each contest, losing to Pulaski 3-4, Wausau East 2-5, Green Bay Southwest 3-4 and Green Bay Preble 1-6.
“The team had a bit of a let down. We just weren't able to pull out enough of the close matches,” Coach Dave Zalewski said. “The good news is that the boys were competitive in most of the matches. Almost every match was very close, even if we didn't win it.”
“This is a tough tournament with some very good players and Antigo has gotten to the place where we hang in there with them,” he added. “This year we just weren’t able to get the wins.”
The highlight of the tournament for Antigo was the play of its freshmen No. 3 doubles team as Drew Schwarz and Ben Bartletti won every match without dropping a set. Facing the stiffest competition of the season, they never gave in and managed to close out every match with a victory.
“These two young boys are finding ways to win. They leave it all on the court and just never give up,” Zalewski said. “They are the future of our program.”
At No. 1 doubles, Colin Bastle and Kyle West won their first match against Pulaski and then lost three very close battles that each went down to the wire.
Zalewski said that several of the coaches pointed out the excellent defensive skills that the Antigo players exhibited.
Results were as follows:
Wausau Tennis Invitational
May 10, 2014
Pulaski 4, Antigo 3
1. Brett Haakenson lost to Grant Tadeysky 3-6 0-6.
2. Brian Barletti lost to James Uelmen 3-6 1-6.
3. Alex Thomae lost to Ben Roth 2-6 2-6.
4. Tommy Blink lost to Jack Danner 4-6 1-6
1. Colin Bastle and Kyle West def. Kris Rauscher and Sean Wilde 6-2 6-1.
2. Garrett Grabowsky and Joe Servi def.Caleb Paradies 6-7 6-1 10-3
3. Drew Schwarz and Ben Barletti def. Matt Destarkey and Calvin Osborne 6-2 6-3
Wausau East 5, Antigo 2
1. Brett Haakenson lost to Matt Laviolette 3-6 2-6.
2. Brian Barletti def. Sawyer Schlindwein 6-2 6-3.
3. Alex Thomae lost to Tanner Frahm 6-3 3-6 6-10.
4. Brennon Brown lost to Adam Scheider 1-6 1-6.
1. Colin Bastle and Kyle West lost to Gunthar Reising and Tanner Dimka 6-4 1-6 3-10.
2. Garrett Grabowsky and Joe Servi lost to Garrett Richette and Dakota Osborn 2-6 3-6.
3. Drew Schwarz and Ben Barletti def. Sam Klug and Isaac Stine 7-6 6-4.
Green Bay Southwest 4, Antigo 3
1. Brett Haakenson lost to Syon Verma 3-6 4-6.
2. Brian Barletti def. Kevin Olson 6-3 6-1.
3. Alex Thomae def. Nick Czyz 4-6 6-3 10-7.
4. Tommy Blink lost to Nathan Hill 1-6 1-6
1. Colin Bastle and Kyle West lost to Even Schanock and Andrew Woltman 4-6 4-6.
2. Garrett Grabowsky and Joe Servi lost to Gabe Rasmussen and Brett Varderack 2-6 6-4 4-10.
3. Drew Schwarz and Ben Barletti def. Sam Elliot and Ty Potkowski 7-5 6-2.
Green Bay Preble 6, Antigo 1
1. Brett Haakenson lost to Brennan Dougherty 2-6 3-6.
2. Brian Barletti lost to Will Griswold 6-3 6-7 5-10.
3. Alex Thomae lost to Alex Vanden Harten 5-7 0-6.
4. Spencer Fittante lost to Marcus Jenerson 0-6 1-6.
1. Colin Bastle and Kyle West lost to Spencer Guo and Andrew Stroman 6-7 6-4 5-10.
2. Garrett Grabowsky and Joe Servi lost to Ryan Vandehai and Jordan Plate 2-6 3-6.
3. Drew Schwarz and Ben Barletti defeated Tom Disalvi and Alec Paplhan 7-5 6-2.
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.