After taking GNC, Robin net men defeat D.C. Everest 6-1|
The Antigo boys tennis team ended its dual season in grand fashion, beating fellow subsectional foe D.C. Everest 6-1 Tuesday. Competing on its home court, the boy’s honored both their parents and two senior team members, Joe Novak and Ben Kryka.
“This was an important match for us because Everest is in our subsectional and this win will give the players a higher seed,” Antigo coach Dave Zalewski said. “The singles all won in straight sets. Everyone of these young men are coming into subsectionals with momentum.”
The Robins swept the courts in singles play with Brett Haakenson, Wes Fick, Ben Kryka and Alex Thomae all defeating their opponent.
Antigo’s top two double teams continued its winning ways with strong victories.
Joe Novak and Brian Bartletti pushed their record to a perfect 13-0 as they defeated Everest’s Mitch Hruska and Cameron Kissinger 6-0, 6-3.
At No. 1 doubles, Colin Bastle and Kyle West had a tougher go, as Everest forced them to a third set. Trailing 3-4, and 15-40, the Antigo duo fought back and won the next three games.
“These guys play with so much determination,” the coach added. “I have never coached two players that refuse to quit as much as these guys.
“This team has grown way beyond my expectations. They just keep getting better and right now we are headed into Monday’s subsectionals with confidence and hope that we can improve upon last year when we got two players through to sectionals.”
Antigo heads to Wausau West for the 9 a.m. start on Monday.
Antigo Boys Tennis
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Ralph Elleson Courts
Antigo 6, D.C. Everest 1
1. Brett Haakenson (A) defeated Jackson Leute (DCE) 6-3, 6-2
2. Wes Fick (A) defeated Nick Guralski (DCE) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ben Kryka (A) defeated Austin Thao (DCE) 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Thomae (A) defeated Keng Yang (DCE) 6-2, 6-2
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) beat Mark Hruska/Mike Nicklaus (DCE) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Joe Novak /Brian Bartletti (A) beat Mitch Hruska/Cameron Kissinger (DCE) 6-0, 6-3
3. Isaac Cuellar/Garrett Grabowsky (A) lost to Ryan Loos/Eric Wasteske (DCE) 4-6, 6-3, 3-6
Andy Blink and Joe servi won.
Jack McKenna and Collin Thiex lost in a tiebreaker.
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.