Antigo tennis sweeps Medford, Phillips|
The Antigo boys tennis team finished its conference dual meets in grand fashion Tuesday, defeating Medford and Phillips with identical 7-0 scores, they did it without dropping a single flight.
“We needed two strong matches to give us the point lead heading into our conference meet at Lakeland this Saturday,” coach Dave Zalewski explained. “Now we are ahead in points and have momentum going into the weekend. I told the boys before the match that every single point mattered and everyone took this to heart and did their job.”
Versus Medford and then Phillips, the Robins made it a pair of quick matches in sweeping both doubles and singles events.
The toughest match of the day came at No. 1 singles as Brett Haakenson encountered a solid Phillips player who pushed him to 6-4 in the first set.
Haakenson added some variety to his game with chip shots to bring Andrew Slade of Phillips to the net, then lobbing over him and following up work the angles and win the points.
Four of the Antigo flights are currently undefeated in conference play—Haakenson at No. 1 singles, Ben Kryka at No. 3 singles, Colin Bastle and Kyle West at No. 1 doubles and Joe Novak and Brian Bartletti at No. 2 doubles.
So far Antigo’s top two double teams are hitting the ball with deep penetrating groundstrokes and following it up with aggressive net play, something the coach expects to continue.
“I am so proud of what this team has accomplished so far this year. Coaching this group of players has been a lot of fun, Zalewski added.”
Antigo heads to Shawano Thursday for a non-conference dual before the conference meet Saturday in Minocqua.
Antigo Varsity Boys Tennis
Dual Meet at Medford
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Antigo 7, Medford 0
1. Brett Haakenson (A) over Jacob Kadlecek (M) 6-0, 6-2
2. Wes Fick (A) over Ryan Neubaur (M) 6-0, 6-0
3. Ben Kryka (A) over Darren Bacouski (M) 6-0, 6-1
4. Alex Thomae (A) over Ty Wrage (A) 7-5, 6-2
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) over Grant Anderson/Kurt Russell (M) 6-0, 6-2
2. Joe Novak/Brian Bartletti (A) over Sammy Payne/Dillon Brest (M) 6-2, 6-0
3. Isaac Cuellar/Jacob Powell (A) over John Shear/Douglas Schumacher (M) 6-2, 6-2
Antigo 7, Phillips 0
1. Brett Haakenson (A) over Andrew Slade (P) 6-4, 6-1
2. Wes Fick (A) over Tyler Schilling (P) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ben Kryka (A) over Sam Novak (P) 6-0, 6-0
4. Garrett Grabowsky (A) over John McCormick (P) 6-0, 6-2
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) over Kyle Nemec/Brendan Miller (P) 6-0, 6-1
2. Joe Novak/Brian Bartletti (A) over John Szwec/Tyler Jasinski (P) 6-1,6-1
3. Isaac Cuellar/Jacob Powell (A) over Brycen Valiga/Luke Heidenreich (P) 6-1, 6-3
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.