Red Robin net men gain two wins at West Invitational|
May 6, 2013
With the weather finally cooperating, producing wonderful tennis playing conditions, the Antigo boys tennis team played three matches Saturday at the Wausau West Invitational, coming out the victor in two of those matches.
The Antigo squad first played Green Bay Southwest and defeated them 6-1. The only loss came at No. 1 singles where Brett Haakenson ran into Nick Allen who finished fourth as a sophomore in the state tournament last season.
All other Antigo players won in straight sets.
The second match pitted Antigo against a tough Green bay Preble team.
“The boys had a definite let down after their initial victory and came up short, loosing 2-5,” Antigo coach Dave Zalweski said. “The highlight of the match and the day was the solid, determined play of Antigo's top two doubles teams of Colin Bastle and Kyle West and Joe Novak and Brian Barletti, who both went undefeated in the tournament.”
The team finished up the day playing Wausau West.
With all the boys getting exhausted from playing their third match in the hot sun, they found their mojo and defeated their sectional foe 6-1.
All the singles easily won in straight sets—doubles were another story.
Every match went three sets, with Antigo coming out on top in two of them. Antigo's No. 1 double team of Bastle and West dropped a close first set but came storming back in the next two to win.
“These two boys just don't quit,” the coach explained. “They get the best players match after match, and they find a way to win as the two now have a record of 7-1.”
Antigo's No. 2 doubles team of Novak and Bartletti looked like they might suffer their first defeat of the season. But they refused to be denied.
After getting thrashed the first set, 1-6, they started attacking the net and hitting hard groundstrokes when their opponents came to the net. That strategy paid dividends and the duo won the next two sets, running their record to a perfect 8-0.
”This team has exceeded all my expectations at this point,” Zalewski explained. “They just keep improving, and learning and then applying it on the court."
Antigo will play conference foes Medford and Phillips at Medford on Tuesday, before heading to Shawano Thursday. The shortened season is coming to its end as the conference tournament is Saturday at Lakeland.
Antigo Boys Tennis
Wausau West Invite
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Antigo 6, Green Bay Southwest 1
1. Brett Haakenson (A) lost to Nick Allen (GBSW) 0-6, 0-6
2. Wes Fick (A) defeated Gabe Rasmussen (GBSW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Ben Kryka (A) defeated Sam Elliot (GBSW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alex Thomae (A) defeated Tony Statz (GBSW) 6-3, 6-2
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) over Mitchell Leroy/Evan Schomock (GBSW) 7-5 6-1
2. Joe Novak/Brian Barletti (A) over Eric Demro/Kevin Olson (GBSW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Garrett Grabowsky/Jacob Powell (A) over Brett Vandenack/Nick Czyz (GBSW) 6-3 7-5
Antigo 2, Green Bay Preble 5
1. Brett Haakenson (A) lost to Brad Maccoux (GBP) 2-6 2-6
2. Wes Fick (A) lost to Bridnon Doubherty (GBP) 1-6 1-6
3. Ben Kryka (A) lost to Kurt Ahmen (GBP) 0-6 2-6
4. Alex Thomae (A) lost to Christian Vasiliev (GBP) 3-6 2-6
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) over Hoian Thai/Riley Rozser (GBP) 7-6(10-8) 6-1
2. Joe Novak/Brian Barletti (A) over Alec Paplham/Alex VandenHouten (GBP) 6-0 6-1
3. Garrett Grabowsky/Jacob Powell (A) lost to Eddie Flores/Marcus Jenersen (GBP) 6-7 (2-7) 4-6
Antigo 6, Wausau West 1
1. Brett Haakenson (A) over Ben Reich (WW) 6-3 6-2
2. Wes Fick (A) over Cody Achatz (WW) 6-0 6-4
3. Ben Kryka (A) over over David Richetto (WW) 6-3 6-2
4. Alex Thomae (A) over Wyatt Joswiak (WW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Colin Bastle/Kyle West (A) over Josh Zahl/Adam Wass (WW) 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
2. Joe Novak/Brian Barletti (A) over Kahlo Vue/Ben Nichols (WW) 1-6, 6-4, 10-3
3. Garrett Grabowsky/Jacob Powell (A) lost to Jon Richetto/Jacob Wass (WW) 6-4, 6-7 (5-7) 5-10
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.