Red Robin tennis squad makes first appearance of season|
April 16, 2013
The Antigo boy's tennis team finally had the opportunity to hit the hard courts Monday as it traveled to Ashwaubenon. A matchup which originally was slated for April 8 in Antigo was finally able to be play out. Unfortunately for the Robins, it was their first real time hitting the ball as their own courts are snow covered and wet.
The Jaguars had the advantage in having the opportunity to hold practice outside for a week, and to top it off, the wind was blowing at 30 mph. A nasty combination that did not bode well for the Red Robin tennis players, as they lost 6-1.
“We have had to improvise our practices and play indoors at the Middle School. There is just no way to duplicate hitting outdoors on the courts,” Antigo coach Dave Zalewski explained. “Add to that the weather. No matter what I was proud of the boys just gutting it out and playing hard. The wind was the worst we have ever played in. It was just not a good day for tennis and to top it off for Antigo, three varsity players were not able to play.
“Though we lost the match to Ashwaubenon, there are encouraging signs that we should have a good season. The team returns all of its varsity players from last year except Chris Eckermann, so I expect that we will be right in the mix for the top spot in our conference once we get a little outdoors practice under our belt.”
Antigo's No. 2 doubles team of Joe Novak and Brian Bartletti continued their winning ways from last year, securing the Robins lone victory.
In exhibition, Jack McKenna and Isaac Cuellar each posted wins while Joe Novak and Collin Thiex lost in doubles play.
Weather permitting, Antigo is next scheduled to play Friday at the Pulaski Quadrangular.
Antigo Boys Tennis
Monday, April 15, 2013
1. Wes Fick (Ant) lost to Ahmed Mian (Ash) 2-6, 3-6
2. Ben Kryka (Ant) lost to Abrar Mian (Ash) 1-6, 1-6
3. Alex Thomae (Ant) lost to Sam Wisneski (Ash) 0-6, 0-6
4. Jake Pavek (Ant) lost to Imran Mian (Ash) 6-3, 3-6, 2-10
1. Colin Bastle and Kyle West (Ant) lost to Brad Tshocke and Devin Wright (Ash) 4-6, 3-6
2. Joe Novak and Brian Bartletti (Ant) defeated Jake Brenzel and Chris Clark (Ash) 6-4, 6-3
3. Andy Blink and Isaac Cuellar (Ant) lost to Ryan Laplant and Jacob Detaurelle (Ash) 1-6, 4-6
Material on this web site has a
copyright by Antigo Daily Journal.
All rights reserved.